Thursday, August 9, 2012

Day 4 - I'm already behind

I cannot believe I've been here four days already. They have been full days of walking, working on my class, and more walking. 

Tuesday I decided to check out my local branch of the Brooklyn Public Library www.brooklynpubliclibrary.org/  in Brooklyn Heights. http://www.brooklynpubliclibrary.org/locations/brooklyn-heights  There was a reference department on the ground floor which had business materials and periodicals. Lots of local newspapers and phone books. The second floor contained reading rooms filled with fiction and non-fiction. I explored the local history section 974.x and found a great book on the Other Islands in NYC.





While I will use the collection, I cannot get a card because I have no permanent address in Brooklyn. What a disappointment. At least I can read the local paper, The Brooklyn Daily Eagle http://www.brooklyneagle.com/, which has been publishing since 1841. 

After a few hours with fans blowing in my ears, I headed out to explore the neighborhood some more and admired the beautiful incised designs on the side of the building. 

Once I determine where my father lived in Brooklyn when he was growing up, I'll dig into their reference collection. In the next week or so, I'll get over to Grand Army Plaza where the main branch is located. From what I understand, the Brooklyn Museum is also in the vicinity. Sounds like an entire day adventure, starting with the bus.

No comments: